Broadly speaking, privacy laws require you to inform users / customers of:
- Your name (or business name), location, and contact information;
- What information you’re collecting from them (including names, email addresses, IP addresses, and any other information);
- How you’re collecting their information, and what you’re going to use it for;
- How you’re keeping their information safe;
- Whether or not it’s optional for them to share that information, how they can opt-out, and the consequences of doing so; and
- Any third-party services you’re using to collect, process, or store that information (such as an email newsletter service, or advertising network).
In Australia, the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) is the primary legislation which regulates the handling of personal information about individuals. Personal information is information or an opinion about an identified individual, or an individual who is reasonably identifiable.